SpaceX’s Software, Email Overwhelm, and More…
This week has a lot of great resources for becoming a better coder, especially for Java developers. But more importantly, we’ve got a lot of links that help with being more productive at work and becoming a better leader. Of course, we also have this week’s best dev-related news and guides from our own Intertech experts as well. Let’s get into it…
- A developer gets three years in prison for creating a backdoor to steal passwords from infected computers.
- After SpaceX’s fairing missed the recovery net by 100 meters on their latest launch, we looked into the types of hardware and software SpaceX uses to pilot and land their rockets and capsules.
Getting Better at Java
- Java Zone is doing a great series on techniques to write better Java.
- Also from Java Zone, their article about hidden secrets in Java is trending among developers right now.
Other Dev Tips
- REST APIs have become standard but what if there was an alternative way to create your APIs?
- One dev shares his opinion on why he’s switching from Angular to React + Redux.
Sick of All the Emails?
- A simple tip for email overwhelm: separate emails that are “to:” you vs “cc: you”
- Speaking of email overwhelm, gmail now offers analytics for your emails
Professional Development for Developers
- Can software development be a craft like motorcycle maintenance or woodworking? This new TechCrunch op-ed argues yes.
- DHH, CTO at Basecamp and creator of Ruby on Rails, has started a new YouTube and essay series called “On Writing Software Well.” He explores the Basecamp code base for interesting coding lessons – definitely worth a watch for any developer.
- Here’s a helpful article from Simple Programmer on how to avoid common management mistakes when you’re leading a development team.
Top Tips from Intertech
- We took a look at the programming languages that are in the most demand in 2018 and in the years to come.
- If you’ve got a few years under your belt as a developer, you might be ready to start taking on more leadership responsibility. Here’s our guide to moving into more senior roles.
Have a Laugh