Implementing Data Models and Reports with Microsoft SQL Server 2014
The focus of this five-day instructor-led course is on creating managed enterprise BI solutions. It describes how to implement multidimensional and tabular data models, deliver reports with Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services, create dashboards with Microsoft SharePoint Server PerformancePoint Services, and discover business insights by using data mining.
- Describe the components, architecture, and nature of a BI solution.
- Create a multidimensional database with Analysis Services.
- Implement dimensions in a cube.
- Implement measures and measure groups in a cube.
- Use MDX Syntax.
- Customize a cube.
- Implement a Tabular Data Model in SQL Server Analysis Services.
- Use DAX to enhance a tabular model.
- Create reports with Reporting Services.
- Enhance reports with charts and parameters.
- Manage report execution and delivery.
- Implement a dashboard in SharePoint Server with PerformancePoint Services.
- Use Data Mining for Predictive Analysis.
- Implementing analytical data models, such as OLAP cubes.
- Implementing reports, and managing report delivery.
- Creating business performance dashboards.
- Supporting data mining and predictive analysis.
- At least 2 years’ experience of working with relational databases, including:
- Designing a normalized database.
- Creating tables and relationships.
- Querying with Transact-SQL.
- Some basic knowledge of data warehouse schema topology (including star and snowflake schemas).
- Some exposure to basic programming constructs (such as looping and branching).
- An awareness of key business priorities such as revenue, profitability, and financial accounting is desirable.
Module 1: Introduction to Business Intelligence and Data Modeling
- Elements of an Enterprise BI Solution
- The Microsoft Enterprise BI Platform
- Planning an Enterprise BI Project
Lab : Exploring a BI Solution
- Exploring the Data Warehouse
- Exploring the Analysis Services Data Model
- Exploring Reports
- Describe the elements of a typical BI solution.
- Select appropriate Microsoft technologies for a BI solution.
- Describe key considerations for planning a BI project.
Module 2: Creating Multidimensional Databases
- Introduction to Multidimensional Analysis
- Creating Data Sources and Data Source Views
- Creating a Cube
- Overview of Cube Security
Lab : Creating a Multidimensional Database
- Creating a Data Source
- Creating and Modifying a Data Source View
- Creating and Modifying a Cube
- Adding a Dimension
- Describe the considerations for a multidimensional database
- Create data sources and data source views
- Create a cube
- Implement security in a multidimensional database
Module 3: Working with Cubes and Dimensions
- Configuring Dimensions
- Defining Attribute Hierarchies
- Sorting and Grouping Hierarchies
Lab : Defining Dimensions
- Configuring Dimensions and Attributes
- Creating Hierarchies
- Creating a Hierarchy with Attribute Relationships
- Creating a Ragged Hierarchy
- Browsing Dimensions and Hierarchies in a Cube
- Configure dimensions
- Define attribute hierarchies
- Sort and group attributes
Module 4: Working with Measures and Measure Groups
- Working with Measures
- Working with Measure Groups
Lab : Configuring Measures and Measure Groups
- Configuring Measures
- Defining a Regular Relationship
- Configuring Measure Group Storage
- Configure measures
- Configure measure groups
Module 5: Introduction to MDX
- MDX Fundamentals
- Adding Calculations to a Cube
- Using MDX to Query a Cube
Lab : Using MDX
- Creating Calculated Members
- Querying a Cube by Using MDX
- Describe MDX
- Add calculations to a cube
- Describe how to use MDX in client applications
Module 6: Enhancing a Cube
- Working with Key Performance Indicators
- Working with Actions
- Working with Perspectives
- Working with Translations
Lab : Customizing a Cube
- Implementing an Action
- Implementing Perspectives
- Implementing a Translation
- Implement Key Performance Indicators
- Implement Actions
- Implement Perspectives
- Implement Translations
Module 7: Implementing an Analysis Services Tabular Data Model
- Introduction to Analysis Services Tabular Data Models
- Creating a Tabular Data Model
- Using an Analysis Services Tabular Data Model in the Enterprise
Lab : Implementing an Analysis Services Tabular Data Model
- Creating an Analysis Services Tabular Data Model Project
- Configuring Columns and Relationships
- Deploying an Analysis Services Tabular Data Model
- Describe Analysis Services tabular data model projects
- Implement an Analysis Services tabular data model
- Use an Analysis Services tabular data model
Module 8: Introduction to DAX
- DAX Fundamentals
- Enhancing a Tabular Data Model with DAX
Lab : Using DAX to Enhance a Tabular Data Model
- Creating Calculated Columns
- Creating Measures
- Creating a KPI
- Implementing a Parent-Child Hierarchy
- Describe the fundamentals of DAX
- Use DAX to create calculated columns and measures
Module 9: Implementing Reports with SQL Server Reporting Services
- Introduction to Reporting Services
- Creating a Report with Report Designer
- Grouping and Aggregating Data in a Report
- Publishing and Viewing a Report
Lab : Creating a Report with Report Designer
- Creating a Report
- Grouping and Aggregating Data
- Publishing a Report
- Describe the key features of Reporting Services
- Use Report Designer to create a report
- Group and aggregate data in a report
- Publish and view a report
Module 10: Enhancing Reports with SQL Server Reporting Services
- Showing Data Graphically
- Filtering Reports by Using Parameters
Lab : Enhancing a Report
- Adding a Chart to a Report
- Adding Parameters to a Report
- Using Data Bars and Sparklines
- Using a Map
- Use charts and other visualizations to show data graphically in a report
- Use parameters to filter data in a report
Module 11: Managing Report Execution and Delivery
- Managing Report Security
- Managing Report Execution
- Subscriptions and Data Alerts
- Troubleshooting Reporting Services
Lab : Configuring Report Execution and Delivery
- Configuring Report Execution
- Implementing a Standard Subscription
- Implementing a Data-Driven Subscription
- Configure security settings for a report server.
- Configure report execution settings to optimize performance.
- Use subscriptions and alerts to automate report and data delivery.
- Troubleshoot reporting issues
Module 12: Delivering BI with SharePoint PerformancePoint Services
- Introduction to SharePoint Server as a BI Platform
- Introduction to PerformancePoint Services
- PerformancePoint Data Sources and Time Intelligence
- Reports, Scorecards, and Dashboards
Lab : Implementing a SharePoint Server BI Solution
- Creating a SharePoint Server Site for BI
- Configuring PerformancePoint Data Access
- Creating PerformancePoint Reports
- Creating a PerformancePoint Scorecard
- Creating a PerformancePoint Dashboard
- Describe SharePoint Server as a BI platform
- Use PerformancePoint Services to deliver BI functionality
- Configure PerformancePoint Data Sources
- Create Reports, Scorecards, and Dashboards
Module 13: Performing Predictive Analysis with Data Mining
- Overview of Data Mining
- Creating a Data Mining Solution
- Validating a Data Mining Model
- Consuming Data Mining Data
Lab : Using Data Mining to Support a Marketing Campaign
- Using Table Analysis Tools
- Creating a Data Mining Structure
- Adding a Data Mining Model to a Data Mining Structure
- Validating a Data Mining Model
- Using a Data Mining Model in a Report
- Describe the key data mining concepts and use the Data Mining Add-ins for Excel
- Create a data mining solution
- Validate data mining models
- Use data mining data in a report