Sr Data Engineer – Remote
Sr Data Engineer – Remote
- Long term contract opportunity
- US Citizenship required
Design, implement and maintain database architectures and strategies to ensure performance, availability, integrity, and security of company databases. Monitor and improve database performance and capacity utilization to provide high database availability and redundancy. Plan and execute future expansion requirements including the installation and testing of DBMS upgrades and patches when needed. Deploy security measures to safeguard all internal databases.
- Analyze and tune database for optimal efficiency.
- Analyze and sustain capacity and performance requirements, including effective use of indexes, enabling parallel query execution, and other DBMS features.
- Create shell scripts for task automation.
- Create, test and execute database management plans and SQL jobs.
- Develop database utilities and automated reporting.
- Monitor systems and platforms for database health, availability, and optimum performance. Provide 24/7 support for critical situations.
- Design, implement and oversee database backup and recovery plans, clustering, mirroring, replication, and failover architectures.
- Work with software design and development teams in designing database architectures and data modeling, building database schemas, tables, procedures, and views.
- Interact with and coach developers in SQL scripting and with database performance considerations.
- Evaluate, install, and test DBMS upgrades and patches for DBMS software, application software, and other software related to DBMS administration.
- Work with the system administrators for hardware and software installations and configurations.
- Implement and administer DBMS security.
- Add and remove users, administer roles and permissions, audit, and check for security problems.
- Evaluate and recommend new database technologies, database server and storage hardware, DBMS tools and utilities.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or other related field
- Minimum 6 years experience as a SQL Server DBA in an enterprise environment
- Proven experience in design, analysis, development, enhancement, automation, tuning and optimizing databases for high availability, performance and security
- Experience in administration and support of MS SQL Server in production, testing and development environments
- Must have extensive operational experience implementing and maintaining multiple relational databases including backup and recovery procedures, replication and clustering
- Experience with T-SQL as well as development of SQL scripts, stored procedures, functions and views
- Experience with SQL 2005
- Experience with Windows 2003
- Experience in supporting database access from .NET based windows, web and web services applications in a multi-tier environment is highly desired
- Experience with other Microsoft SQL products such as Reporting Services, Analysis Services, Integration Services is highly desired Experience with managing and maintaining SharePoint platforms is desired
- Equivalent combination of education, experience and/or applicable military experience will be considered
- Expert knowledge of MS SQL Management Studio 2005/2008
- Thorough knowledge of Microsoft SQL Server database management systems architecture
- Expert knowledge of Transact SQL language
- Thorough understanding of SQL database replication and clustering
- Thorough knowledge of the techniques and methodologies of data management systems, including relational, network and hierarchical systems
- Thorough understanding of database I/O and memory allocation and tuning methods
- Knowledge of database security and auditing functions
- MS SQL Server Management Studio
- Attention to detail
- Strong analytical skills and creativity in troubleshooting and problem-solving
- Strong oral and written communications skills
- Ability to perform in a self-directed and well-organized manner
- Ability to manage multiple projects/issues concurrently, and to meet tight deadlines
- Ability to work in a fast paced constantly evolving workplace
- Ability to interact with a diverse group of IT professionals including developers, architects, business and data analysts, system and security administrators
- SQL 2008 experience
- Windows 2008 experience
- Related MS certifications
- National Career Readiness Certificate
- Familiarity with Visual Studio 2005/2008 as well as experience with Windows 2003/2008 is ideal
- Experience with other MS SQL products such as Reporting Services, Analysis Services, Integration Services