What & Why WebAssembly (Wasm)!
WebAssembly In Simple Terms — WebAssembly.org
What Is WebAssembly
The Big Take Away
- Efficient and Fast: The WebAssembly takes advantage of common hardware capabilities on a range of platforms and allows applciations to run at native speed.
- Safe: A WebAssembly encoded application is placed in a memory-safe sandboxed execution environment and enforces the same-origin and permissions security policies of the browser
- Becomes Part Of Open Web: Maintains the versionless, feature-tested, backwards-compatible nature of the web
Who’s Using WebAssembly
- Autocad, one of the oldest computer drafting software’s was able to make a web version of their application using WebAssembly.
- Unity, a gaming engine with a web player made using WebAssembly providing a performant 2D and 3D gaming that would otherwise not be possible.
- GoogleEarth, C/C++ codebases for native applications were ported to the web for performant 3D graphics in the browser.
- Blazor, one of Microsoft’s newest programming frameworks allows you to write C# code that compiles into WebAssembly that executes client side.
At madewithwebassembly.com you can see a list of projects made using WebAssembly.
How Does WebAssembly Work?
Why Would You Use WebAssembly?
There are a few regular use cases for going to WebAssembly as a solution.
- Bottlenecks in your application: Areas in your application that a 50% increase in execution time or more consistent execution time would drastically improve the end users experience. Maybe your application has some backend business logic and you want to eliminate the server usage and the time it takes to communicate with it by executing that logic directly on the client.
- Making use of non-web friendly code: “Sqoosh” is also a good example of making use of non-web friendly code, it uses multiple libraries written in a variety of languages compiled into WASM to deliver a wide range of image processing functionality. The idea is, code exists already that does something you want to do on the web, maybe WASM can be the solution that brings that code to the web.
Why Is System Integration With The Web Important?
WebAssembly is turning out to be a groundbreaking addition to the web development world. It’s got the support of the right communities and is currently stable and fully supported, so the future is bright. It’s not going to be the tool you use for everything, but when used correctly, it can be a powerful enhancement to your web application.
Discover Intertech Microservices!
Discover Intertech Business Process Automation!
WebAssembly — Overview
WebAssembly — Browser Roadmap
WebAssembly — FAQ
Avoid The Obstacles Through Agile Software Development Done The Right Way!